Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8004 Ignoramus8004 is offline

Default Pardon my interruption with a metalworking post

On 2016-09-11, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus21943" wrote in
message ...
Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per
yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a
bandsaw.

How good is blade life?

Blade life is what I am trying to figure out now.

With new rails, cutting seems to go better, as new rails are not yet
work hardened. We ruined 2 blades on used rails, but possibly, it
happened because the teeth were too coarse.

I just cut about 15 of new rail pieces and the blade does not seem to
be doing any worse, as judged by the time required to cut one rail.

On regular mild steel, I could get two buckets of sawing chips per one
blade a few years ago.

The saw is three phase, 1" width and 11' length of the blade. Runs
with coolant.