Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Help - damaged the self assembly bookcase

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 08:16:01 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

If its crap chipboard everything you do will just make it look worse in my
experience.

It very much depends on what the surface finish is. Mostly its splintery
plastic veneer in which case its knackered.

It's is pretty cheap though not splintery and I've only just broken
through - it's not a full hole.

I guess you could try the manufacturers and see if they can let you have a
new part. To hide this sort of thing I've often put them as the top shelf
when its taller than you or your friends are, or inverted it, but often
there is a wrap joint on the other side where the veneer is joined, which is
more ugly than the hole.
This is where those Allen key assembly systems score over screws I guess.
Brian

Well in theory I could disassemble and rotate the damaged part and
refix the fitting (magnetic catches) with the right screws. But I'd
probably damage something else in the process. And it is a low
bookshelf. It's one of those Ikea type (not Ikea) kits with the
rotating lugs, dowels and pre-drilled holes.

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"AnthonyL" wrote in message
In a momentarily loss of concentration I picked up the 1" screws to
attach a fixing when I should have used the 1/2" screws - so I've
broken through to the other side of a chipboard laminated bookcase.

I've put the right screws in now and sod's law determined that when
everything was completed the damage is on an upper and visible
surface.

Any tips on hiding it? I've tapped the protrusions down a bit but
wonder if they should be soaked in water or maybe a bit of wood glue.

--
AnthonyL