Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Diesel electric bus question

Gawd how many delivery drivers turn off their engines when making a drop,
I've not found one yet.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/09/2016 19:57, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
As I understand it, it is illegal to leave your engine running when you
vacate the driving seat. The idea being concerns at the vehicle taking
off on its own, driverless.

"You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that
vehicle is stationary on a public road."

I've done it many times, and I'll do it in the future too - mostly for
diagnosis of problems. And that's allowed.

These modern diesel electric buses use battery to get them to 2nd gear
speed, then start the diesel engine. When waiting at the bus stop the
engine is stopped, except often the engine will start up of its own
accord, whether the driver is in the cab or not.

Provided the driver has taken appropriate precautions, ie the bus is doing
what it's supposed to do and it's been left in a state where it won't
drive off (eg the parking brake is on), that's fine - it won't be counted
as "unnecessarily".