Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default How Waterproof are Fish Tank Heaters?

On 07/09/2016 15:38, newshound wrote:

I'd expect them to be OK. Although the ad talks about not lying them on
the floor of an aquarium because of the pressure, I'd be surprised if
they couldn't take a couple of psi,

It's probably more to do with overheating. Aquarium heaters need a free
flow of water around all of the heater. Rest a side on the bottom of a
tank and that side of the heater will 'cook' the glass envelope.

In 30+ years, the aquarium heaters I have owed could have, and did,
survive full immersion in water.