Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pardon my interruption with a metalworking post

On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 00:40:29 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 18:49:37 -0700, BobH
wrote:

What would you use to cut up half of a truck utility bed into its
component panels? It was a freebie from Craigslist a decade ago. My
knee was acting up a the time so I never got back to pick up the front
half. (Nope, no idea why the idiot would have cut it in half in the
first place.) I think it runs from 12ga to 9ga diamond plate.

Anyway, I'll save the doors and hinges as units, but need to cut the
steel panels near the welds. I'm thinking to use a cutoff wheel to
get to the corners, making slots wide enough for a recip blade to do
the actual panel cutting. I think that both HFT and Ace bimetal
blades are available (broke the last 6" 24tpi Lenox last year) so I'll
do a longevity test on each of 'em, starting with the HFT.

I would use a cutting torch or a plasma cutter. It's quiet, fast and
doesn't beat you up with the vibration.

I vote for the torch. Unless you are really handy with a plasma
cutter and have plenty of con$umables

No tanks for my torch set, and there is no way I'm single handedly
plasma cutter. Yeah, plasma is the perfect way to dissect that thing.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that