Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Wood stove recommendation

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

I fitted an Oliva cast iron stove in the workshop. I am not sure
it's still available. The round cylindrical one. My experience is
that it is very difficult to reduce the heat output. I reckon it
almost never puts out less than 3KW and generally it's 5+. I have to
keep the door open even in winter! However it does take large wood
offcuts in a small enclosure by topfilling. I keep meaning to install
an African Queen lid lifter but haven't yet got around tuit! The
cast iron stoves IME have much hotter sides than the steel ones and
are messier to use. The sight glass is also permanently sooted up. My
daughters steel designer stove is easier to keep clean, the front
glass doesn't soot and the heat exchanger seems to work at putting
out warm clean air into the room. She did stupidly pay lots of money
for it however,£2K IIRC.

The heat output is going to depend on how much wood is burning in it,
Shirley. In our case (Esse 100) also whether you adjust the top vent,
too. But close that vent too much and the airwash can no longer keep
the window clean.

Was that just for the stove or was there other work? In our case we had
the fireplace modified, and the chimney lined and insulated, so the job
total was a lot more than £2k.

That was the stove!