Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Anyone see the BBC prog on Sellafield?

On 9/7/2016 10:06 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 07/09/16 09:41, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

As usual, the program kept saying it's the worst place in the world,
but there have been some nasty issues with the storage facilities at
Hanford in the USA, and by all accounts some of the Russian sites are
even worse.

IIRC, one of the Russian sites was so bad that serious fission was
going on.

AS opposed to humorous fission?

The whole point of storing spent fuel rods in ponds is because fission
is going on.

Yes I know that Oh Witty One. I'm talking about a pond that went
critical and perhaps even exploded - sometime in the 50s IIRC.

ISTR that the current view is that Kyshtym was a chemical explosion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster

There was a criticality excursion in Sellafield a good many years ago,
but from the human viewpoint safely behind a lot of shielding. In
contrast to the extraordinary incompetence at Tokaimura in 1999, with
two fatalities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokaim...clear_accident