Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default New ballcock question

On 07/09/2016 11:52, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While tying up the plastic ballcock arm in the loft, I rather stupidly
snapped it. I went out and got a brass one, which seems to be a much
stronger replacement, so no big deal. However, the new one is a lot
noisier than the old one. Again, that wouldn't be a big deal, but when
the tank is close to its full level, and the valve is near to closing,
the noise starts to fluctuate. I imagine that it has created some kind
of resonance in the water, and that adjusting the mains water cock will
get rid of it (I only open it about a single turn). But I have a
question about the new brass valve. The water comes out of a hole
drilled into the bottom of the valve body. Okay, I know it's got to
come out of somewhere, but since it just dribbles and splashes all over
the place, I'm wondering if perhaps there shouldn't at least be some
kind of nozzle to attempt to direct it (like the old plastic one had)?
Am I supposed to buy something else to finish it off? I'm thinking that
this might be contributing to the noise.

My guess is that you've bought the cheaper *part 1* type ballvalve. Best
to buy a brass *part 2* ballvalve, these are the equalibrium type and a
lot less susceptible to the problems you are having. They are a bit
dearer, but much better.