Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Fertilizing rocky soil where it's half soil half stones (and no dirt)

On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 4:28:13 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 20:19:36 -0000 (UTC), Danny D. wrote:

So they gave me the Demoines main number 515-265-1461 to ask for more
detail.

I called the Iowa number but they only do nutrition analysis.
So they suggested the universities.

I'll try UC Santa Cruz next ...

Why don't you ask some neighbors in the area what they grow? Anyone
have a garden? Any local garden centers that sell veg plants and
such? That would be more useful than us telling you what
we have and do in NJ. Let's put it this way, given the soil you
showed us, if I was going to buy a farm to grow vegetables, I wouldn't
pick your place. Any farms there? What do they grow besides rocks
and agnst?

Assuming there isn't something terrible about that soil that you;ve
sifted, eg it's full of salt or something, then if you want to use
it, get some organic matter like peat moss, well rested manure, or
similar and mix some of that in with it. That plus
some fertilizer should be fine for growing typical plants. Get the PH
tested, they even have cheap test kits at HD or online, correct if
needed.