Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_16_] Danny D.[_16_] is offline

Default Fertilizing rocky soil where it's half soil half stones (and no dirt)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 07:22:36 -0700 (PDT), Roy wrote:

Just go buy some potting soil and mix with that crap
you call soil or just disregard your "soil" and use
the potting soil entirely. Couple of big bags should
suffice for what you are going to do.
====

You're the first to explain that the soil I found was 'crap', as that's the
main goal, which is to scientifically approach this.

Of course I can do away with the soil on the property, but then the kids
wouldn't learn how to analyze what it is that we have, and they wouldn't
learn what they need to add to make it work better.

Consider this like the Martian Biome that was in Gravity (or whatever that
movie was where Matt Damon had to grow potatoes).

We want to approach this as "our soil" and "our food waste" and "our
plants", so, buying potting soil defeats the purpose.

I really just want an analysis of the existing soil, as "you" see it.
So far, you're the only one to analyze it from the pictures, and you called
it "crap".

I suspect it *is* crap - but how do you know that by looking at it?
Was it the percentage of stones?
Since I removed the stones, was it something else that triggered that
assessment?

Please advise.