Posted to uk.d-i-y
TimW TimW is offline

Default Fixing to crappy wall

On 06/09/16 18:52, Phil L wrote:
R D S wrote:
I've fit (fitted?) a banister to the mother in law's wall.
4 brackets, about 40mm round against wall, three screws in each.

3 went on OK, one is in an area where there is no solid wall.
I glued some plugs in but it's not happening.

At home i'd drill big holes and glue/hammer fat dowels in and screw
into that but I want to contain whatever destruction I cause behind
the bracket

I can't decide what to do that would cause least disruption to the
decor.

Ideas appreciated.

Take the handrail off completely and affix an appropriate length of 3X1
planed timber.

You can use as many fixings as you like to get it solid. (fill holes before
painting)

Affix the handrail to that

That is good advice. You can't get a fixing which is stronger than the
wall itself, and if it's plasterboard or crumbly old **** that might
just not be strong enough and no amount of glue squirted in and
oversized plugs will make it strong enough.
TW