Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default TV in kitchen - regs?

On 02/09/16 15:07, Bert Coules wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Basically you will need NFS server for linux clients...

Apart from material I've downloaded, all my audio and video collection
is on old-fashioned CDs and DVDs (and audio cassettes, VHS tapes and
reel-to-reel tapes). I've considered copying it all onto hard disks but
it's a somewhat daunting thought and in truth I like having the
individual items on my shelves. I ought to do it for the older and more
fragile stuff though.

The CDs and DVDS rip very fast, though they may need format converting
to MP3/MP4.

My pragmatic advice there would be 'if you want to watch it, rip it' and
then its done for good and you can keep the oroigianls as backupop

Tapes - that's a BIG job. can really only be done in real time. Replace
with CD/DVD wherever possible

Away from TV, I'd like to set up a system which would essentially have
the same effect as putting a DAB radio into every room (which of course
I could do, but I'm interested in alternatives): from some centralised
source I'd like to be able to select a channel and control the volume in
each room. The source would only ever have to provide one channel at a
time, though I'd like to be able to play it in more than one room
simultaneously if I wanted.

What would be the simplest way to achieve that?

I am not sure.

If you have a DTV adapter for a PC you can use freeview radio channels,
and there is supposed to be some sort of LAN broadcast protocol but I
never used it. Easer to simply have the PCs tuned to whatever radio
station is wanted over the internet.

Hmm there are several audio over IP options, but I have not played with
any of them. So cannot really offer any useful advice

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html

is probably a good place to start.

VLC can read a Digital terrestrial TC or DAB dingle under linux IIRC.
and can act as a LAN server and other VLC instances can pick up the
audio/video stream and reproduce it locally.

Raspberry Pis can run VLC too.

I think I once got this working, but it didnt do what *I* was after.
Which was essentially DLNA serving.

Or cheat and download the tape albums you have...

--
Cheers,

John.