Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default TV in kitchen - regs?

On 02/09/2016 15:07, Bert Coules wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Basically you will need NFS server for linux clients...

I would suggest the easiest way is with an off the shelf NAS box
(essentially its a small Linux box all ready to go and setup for file
sharing). Most have DLNA support as standard these days.

Apart from material I've downloaded, all my audio and video collection
is on old-fashioned CDs and DVDs (and audio cassettes, VHS tapes and
reel-to-reel tapes). I've considered copying it all onto hard disks but
it's a somewhat daunting thought and in truth I like having the
individual items on my shelves. I ought to do it for the older and more
fragile stuff though.

CDs are easy - get a copy of Exact Audio Copy (any number of other
similar progs out there - many of them free). That will rip music CDs to
files, and the better ones will also look up all the track names for you
online so you get sensible names etc.

For DVDs get a copy of Handbrake. That will rip DVDs to a single mk4 file.

(you will need a copy of AnyDVD to make the whole process easy -
especially if you want to rip blueray discs)

Anything on analogue media is a tad more tedious! You will need to
digitise each in turn, and possibly have the occasional other hoop to
jump through for copy protected VHS recordings.

Away from TV, I'd like to set up a system which would essentially have
the same effect as putting a DAB radio into every room (which of course
I could do, but I'm interested in alternatives): from some centralised
source I'd like to be able to select a channel and control the volume in
each room. The source would only ever have to provide one channel at a
time, though I'd like to be able to play it in more than one room
simultaneously if I wanted.

What would be the simplest way to achieve that?

There are plenty of Raspberry Pi based streamer projects that can do
this kind of stuff. (although you may want an add on sound card for it
to get the best hifi from it - the default PWM audio is "ok" but not
stunning)

--
Cheers,

John.