Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] mhooker32@gmail.com is offline

Default can i connect an LCD VGA monitor in place of a crt?

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 5:04:11 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 19:24:18 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 9:47:06 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
i am trying to repair a video slot machine. the monitor image is not
correct. the image is shifted to the left and cut off. there is a
black
vertical bar, about 15% of the screen size in the right 3/4 of the
screen
. to the right of that is the beginning of the image that is shifted to
the left. i took the monitor to a repair shop, and he says the
monitor/chassis is ok. i'm not too sure about that. a different mpu in
the slot has the same result. its a tatung VT-1440S monitor, VGA . i
would like to hook up a desktop vga monitor.

i posted an image from the slot schematics he
http://s408.photobucket.com/user/mho...GA%20interface

is it possible to hook up the LCD monitor to test the machine? i made a
cable with a female db-15 and individual pins on the other end.

thanks much
mike

When my buddy was in the vending business, I repaired several hundred of
his monitors, many just like this one. I seem to recall a horiz phase
adjustment on the main board. Sometimes just tweaking this pot would
lock
in the picture.

The phase comparator compares the sync with a pulse from a winding on the
horizontal transformer. Its fed by a high value resistor - going high or
open is a very common fault.

This happens very rarely but I've seen a cap to ground open on this
line which causes the picture to shift.

It was common enough on TVs, and I've seen it on a few VGA monitors.

With some TV makes/models - it made it onto the stock fault list.

cap kit did the trick, nice image now. way in the corner of the board was a leaker you couldnt see until it was pulled. thanks to all for your help