Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default TV in kitchen - regs?

I'd imagine it depends on whether you make a lot of splashes and steam in
that area. To me I've never liked mains powered radios and tvs in kitchens,
but to be fair none of my friends have ever electrocuted themselves or
damaged the equipment. If you do do this though you might want to see if
that area does get damp at any time before deciding and route all cables
well away from the sink.

Back in the day we used to have an old 13 inch trinitron set and it was
often used in a bathroom. One day when the push buttons broke I had need to
get inside and was amazed that the main chassis had spots of rust and
pealing plating on it, so obviously condensation did it no good at all, but
it never actually went wrong in a major way even then.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
I've searched around for the answer to this but haven't found it as yet:
is there any regulation concerning placing a small wall-mounted 12V TV set
in a kitchen?

I have a blank area above a draining board, partly protected from splashes
and steam by a 6" deep shelf which runs the length of that wall. It seems
like the obvious place to mount a smallish TV, say 17" or so. There are
specially-designed water- and steam-proof sets intended for bathrooms but
would one of them be overkill for a kitchen? Is there any reason why I
shouldn't use a conventional set?

Many thanks.