Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV in kitchen - regs?

On 02/09/16 11:53, Bert Coules wrote:
Thanks again.

The whole smart TV/central server/whole house distribution area is
something I'm trying to get into. I've been looking for a
straightforward guide, online or off.

Bert

Well what I did was pretty simple.

I ran up minidlna on a linux server I have - I admit I ended up
compiling from source and hacking it a little, but if you are happy to
accept its default behaviour that's not needed.

I told it where the videos are.

And that's it. Any TV style client on the home network can 'see' it, and
as its a network drive as well, so can any PC that has that drive mounted.

IF you are going that route I strongly suggest you use an old PC and
install ****loads of disk, and Linux. Then remove screen and keyboard
and let it gurgle.

Basically you will need NFS server for linux clients, SAMBA for PC and
MAC clients and minidlna for TVs and I think Xboxen..

If your TV aint smart, a DVD player that is, is peanuts.

If you keep a screen and keyboard on the server you can use that to
strip DVDS and edit recordings, and if you install a TV dongle, you can
record off air onto it as well.

Add second drive and some scripts and you can backup automatically
every night, and of course it becomes a handy place for the family to
share data on as well.

Build your own NAS is a very good DIY project using a scrap XP style PC.

You don't need speed fast video or a lot of RAM 1GB is plenty. Just a
reliable MB with ethernet, and as much disk as you can afford.

And a Linux installation disk. TBH for a server debian is good enough,
But I went all mint.

Happy to help anyone through the issues.

And there are half a dozen other people here just as good at linux.

Would make a good wiki article maybe.

its shoes.