Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default can i connect an LCD VGA monitor in place of a crt?

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 10:03:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

i made up the cable as per jeff's chart, and the lcd monitor displayed
a very nice image. now i can go thru the machine and test all its
functions.

Very good.

with the image on the original monitor as described above, do you
think a cap kit will do the trick?

Of course, why else would I suggest it? I haven't fixed CRT monitor
for at least 6 years. I didn't even know that there were re-cap kits
available for CRT monitors. However, if it's anything like LCD
monitors, replacing the caps will usually do the trick. Electrolytics
don't last forever.

You might need to look into replacing the flyback if you can't get any
hi-V and the rest of the horizontal sweep circuitry seems to be ok.
Hard to tell from here.

Also, CRT's are potentially dangerous and can zap you without much
provocation. Attach a clip lead to a big INSULATED screwdriver,
ground the lead to the frame, and discharge the CRT tube before diving
into the circuitry. Remember, you have but one life to give to your
profession.

thanks

Never thank me before it's working. Bad luck and all that.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558