Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT The joys of BT

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 13:13:37 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In a couple years we'll be routinely streaming 4k UHD movies which will
need 4x the bandwidth of an HD one.

That all depends on the bit rate of the movie. "HD" iPlayer (1280x720
25fps progressive) used to be around 2.5 mbps or 1 GB/Hr ish. You can
now get 50 fps versions that run at 5 Mbps, 2GB/hour. At that rate
it's not that hard to need 20 Mbps+, Dad watching something the
lounge, Mum in the kitchen with a soap, kids up stairs...

I've already started downloading 4k content and it is simply stunning.
Even got some 8k video but the PC struggles a bit with that.

Downloading isn't quite the same as streaming. The ADSL here has a
through put of about 4 Mps on a good day (FTTC is 2.5 miles away,
wouldn't be any faster). It could handle 2.5 Mbps iPlayer streamed or
download in a few minutes shorter than the realtime duration. The 5
Mbps content won't stream and takes about double the running time to
download. Do what we did with the new fangled 2400/2400 dialup
modems, start it going and leave it for a day or two...

--
Cheers
Dave.