Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default OT The joys of BT

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el , Huge
escribió:

Once you get to the point where you can stream movies in real time, why
does anyone much care?

I know what you're saying. I really battled with myself to justify the
upgrade from 11Mbps ADSL to 40Mbps VDSL, but the price was the same
(contract renewal so I haggled) and it does make a difference.
Streaming movies, etc.

In a couple years we'll be routinely streaming 4k UHD movies which will
need 4x the bandwidth of an HD one. I've already started downloading 4k
content and it is simply stunning. Even got some 8k video but the PC
struggles a bit with that.

A 4GB Linux .iso comes down in no time at all.

Remember Gates (allegedly) said at one point that 640k was enough for
anybody

Yet another call from BT to my mobile from India. I have no idea
what was said as the sound level was inaudible. Ten minutes later, the
Internet speed went up to 2.9M and the noise margin dropped to 2db with
no internet. I presume they are saying once again, that there is
nothing wrong with the line even though they can't get a call through!
Rebooting the router brought the service back at 2,2M, so it works again.