Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Safety test of electrics

Brian Gaff explained on 25/08/2016 :
The thing is for many many years there seems to have been no such testing
other than that done by the electrician at the time of installation and over
some years specs and practices change, some for the better some for no
apparent reason.
I do sometimes wonder as long as rudimentary checks are done from time to
time with a little knowledge of basics if the papers and certificates one
gets are any more confidence building than your own tests. of course if you
are selling the property you need all that stuff, but if not, I do wonder.
Just me being cynical.

My own view is that 95% of an installation is hidden and inaccessible,
so no brief inspection can really be as thorough as needed. Only what
can be seen, can be inspected - for the rest you rely on what bit you
can see and adequately test.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)