Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replace NiCad with NiMH cells Makita [UPDATE]

Theo laid this down on his screen :
For that price I suspect there is something fishy going on. I realise that
shipping has some subsidy, but the price is too cheap. Additionally that
package weighs about 400g which hits the pricey end of shipping from China
(I think they would pay about $20 shipping)

This is true of everything I get from China. They seem to have some
special deal on shipping.

UK suppliers are about 3-4 pounds per cell and most of the cells on the
market are 3.3Ah or thereabouts, while these are 6Ah. A fun trick to making
'larger' batteries is to take an AA NiMH, put it in a C/D cell case and
surround the outside with cement so that it weighs about right. A Sub-C
NiMH should weigh about 55g - would be interesting to know how much yours
weigh.

42g whereas the old Ni-Cads I replaced them with weighed 41g, so out of
curiosity I cut the spare Ni-MH apart to examine it. No cement just the
normal construction I expected. I used a postal scale, which had been
checked with calibration weights.

Most of what the UK sellers offer, is imported from Chinese suppliers
anyway - they just double the price in the UK.

It may be they're production failures, which might be managed by having
overstock and swapping in cells as they die. But I suspect they're flat
lying about the capacity for starters.

Certainly they are lying about the capacity. it is a given when buying
batteries from China. I have been satisfied with all the batteries and
cells I have previously bought direct from China, ignoring the wild
capacity claims. It has had a bit of use this morning and the battery
voltage is still close to 20v after its had a rest.

I suspect the shipping regulations insist they are sent out close to
flat condition.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)