Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Tascam digital recorder with defective display.

Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 25.08.16 22:11, David Farber wrote:
This Tascam DR-44WL digital recorder was given to me for repair. I
asked how the screen got damaged. The user, a friend of mine, said
that it wasn't dropped or mishandled. It was placed on the floor in
an out of a way place before his band played and 45 minutes later he
went to retrieve it and the screen looked like this:
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...4WL-screen.jpg
The rest of the unit looks very clean. There are no scratches
anywhere. A new screen costs around $40 + shipping but I was curious what
kind
of defect would cause an image like this without some severe impact
to the display? If I replace the display, is it likely to happen
again? The recorder has only been used a few times and it's about 18
months old. Thanks for your replies.

Looks like air intrusion from a leak in the edge of the LCD.
No known cure, except replacement.

I ordered a repalcement dispaly today. Hopefully it will all go back
together as easily as it came apart.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber