Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tascam digital recorder with defective display.

This Tascam DR-44WL digital recorder was given to me for repair. I asked how
the screen got damaged. The user, a friend of mine, said that it wasn't
dropped or mishandled. It was placed on the floor in an out of a way place
before his band played and 45 minutes later he went to retrieve it and the
screen looked like this:
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...4WL-screen.jpg
The rest of the unit looks very clean. There are no scratches anywhere.

A new screen costs around $40 + shipping but I was curious what kind of
defect would cause an image like this without some severe impact to the
display? If I replace the display, is it likely to happen again? The
recorder has only been used a few times and it's about 18 months old.

Thanks for your replies.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Farber" wrote in message ...

[...]

Hmm, I suspect a severe impact.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 25/08/16 21:11, David Farber wrote:
This Tascam DR-44WL digital recorder was given to me for repair. I asked how
the screen got damaged. The user, a friend of mine, said that it wasn't
dropped or mishandled. It was placed on the floor in an out of a way place
before his band played and 45 minutes later he went to retrieve it and the
screen looked like this:
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...4WL-screen.jpg
The rest of the unit looks very clean. There are no scratches anywhere.

A new screen costs around $40 + shipping but I was curious what kind of
defect would cause an image like this without some severe impact to the
display? If I replace the display, is it likely to happen again? The
recorder has only been used a few times and it's about 18 months old.

A neighbour gave me their Lenovo laptop to fix that had a cracked
screen. Their kid was pretty insistant it wasn't dropped, but I couldn't
entertain the warranty company with that statement; I don't have a lie
detector that can be plugged into her and ethernet - so we fitted a new
display ourselves.

An idea. Extreme heat? Humidity? Electroluminescent panel flashover?

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AL AL is offline

On 8/25/2016 1:11 PM, David Farber wrote:
This Tascam DR-44WL digital recorder was given to me for repair. I asked how
the screen got damaged. The user, a friend of mine, said that it wasn't
dropped or mishandled. It was placed on the floor in an out of a way place
before his band played and 45 minutes later he went to retrieve it and the
screen looked like this:
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...4WL-screen.jpg
The rest of the unit looks very clean. There are no scratches anywhere.

A new screen costs around $40 + shipping but I was curious what kind of
defect would cause an image like this without some severe impact to the
display? If I replace the display, is it likely to happen again? The
recorder has only been used a few times and it's about 18 months old.

Thanks for your replies.

How close was it to the band's woofer? Some of the bands I've heard can
really shake things up. Could the vibration have caused the screen damage?

As an aside, years ago when the movie Earthquake first came out the
local theater put large woofers in the rear. So when the earthquake
scene came on the whole place really shook. After several weeks they
actually discovered structural damage to the building and the place had
to close for the repairs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

AL wrote:
[...]

This is a rather low key band that plays traditional jazz music.

It's amazing a movie could be so loud that it caused structural damage to a
building but not cause hearing damage to the moviegoers!

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This Tascam DR-44WL digital recorder was given to me for repair. I asked how
the screen got damaged. The user, a friend of mine, said that it wasn't
dropped or mishandled. It was placed on the floor in an out of a way place
before his band played and 45 minutes later he went to retrieve it and the
screen looked like this:
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...4WL-screen.jpg
The rest of the unit looks very clean. There are no scratches anywhere.

A new screen costs around $40 + shipping but I was curious what kind of
defect would cause an image like this without some severe impact to the
display? If I replace the display, is it likely to happen again? The
recorder has only been used a few times and it's about 18 months old.

It looks to me as if the edge of the LCD panel was compromised,
allowing an air leak into the panel.

This might be due to a manufacturing defect, but the radiating pattern
of lines, and the thin little hairline I see at the tip of the
leftmost radiating spike of blue-ness, suggests that the panel was
actually fractured or chipped at its edge... either by impact or by
excessive non-impact pressure. The whitish spots/rings near the top
of the display area suggest that something has pushed or scraped the
protective cover enough to damage the plastic film.

If the recorder was sitting on the floor, is there a possibility that
the place wasn't "out of the way" enough, and somebody accidentally
stepped on it? That might easily flex the plastic cover and put
pressure onto the LCD and crack it. Direct downward pressure by a
shoe might not have left scratches, other than perhaps those small
scrapes/defects just below the top.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Platt wrote:
[...]

Hi Dave,

Yes, it is possible that someone or something came in contact with it as it
was out of view for a while. There were quite a few people milling about the
area and who knows what the real story is. Your explanation seems quite
plausible.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Farber wrote:

It's amazing a movie could be so loud that it caused structural damage to a
building but not cause hearing damage to the moviegoers!

** The sound was all very low frequency so excited standing waves in the room.

The system was developed by speaker maker Cerwin-Vega and called "Sensurround":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround

Cerwin-Vega also supplied high powered amplifiers for the system, mostly models A3000 and A1800 which later turned up on the second hand market and were bought for use in PA systems for live music in the 1980s.

One of my customers acquired a number of them and they were constantly coming in for repair. They were never built well enough to go touring in the back of a truck.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 25/08/2016 21:11, David Farber wrote:
This Tascam DR-44WL digital recorder was given to me for repair. I asked how
the screen got damaged. The user, a friend of mine, said that it wasn't
dropped or mishandled. It was placed on the floor in an out of a way place
before his band played and 45 minutes later he went to retrieve it and the
screen looked like this:
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...4WL-screen.jpg
The rest of the unit looks very clean. There are no scratches anywhere.

A new screen costs around $40 + shipping but I was curious what kind of
defect would cause an image like this without some severe impact to the
display? If I replace the display, is it likely to happen again? The
recorder has only been used a few times and it's about 18 months old.

Thanks for your replies.

Before replacing new display, look for grit/swarf etc maybe from
manufacture, then stressing of the case caused point stress crack
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 25/08/16 23:17, David Farber wrote:
AL wrote:
On 8/25/2016 1:11 PM, David Farber wrote:

How close was it to the band's woofer? Some of the bands I've heard
can really shake things up. Could the vibration have caused the
screen damage?
As an aside, years ago when the movie Earthquake first came out the
local theater put large woofers in the rear. So when the earthquake
scene came on the whole place really shook. After several weeks they
actually discovered structural damage to the building and the place
had to close for the repairs.

This is a rather low key band that plays traditional jazz music.

It's amazing a movie could be so loud that it caused structural damage to a
building but not cause hearing damage to the moviegoers!

Thanks for your reply.

In 1980 I saw Pink Floyd perform "The Wall"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall#Tour) live at London's Earl's
Court. At the end, when the Wall came down, the whole building
shook.You couldn't hear it, but you could sure feel it. As Earl's Court
could hold an audience of 20,000, that required some serious amplifiers.

Although it's a little hazy now, I believe I remember reading that Pink
Floyd used 55kW of amplification for the concert, of which 18kW was used
subsonically only at the end when the wall came down. I have no idea
what frequency they used or what sort of loudspeakers generated it.

--

Jeff

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the pointers. I'll check it out.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 25.08.16 22:11, David Farber wrote:
This Tascam DR-44WL digital recorder was given to me for repair. I asked how
the screen got damaged. The user, a friend of mine, said that it wasn't
dropped or mishandled. It was placed on the floor in an out of a way place
before his band played and 45 minutes later he went to retrieve it and the
screen looked like this:
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...4WL-screen.jpg
The rest of the unit looks very clean. There are no scratches anywhere.

A new screen costs around $40 + shipping but I was curious what kind of
defect would cause an image like this without some severe impact to the
display? If I replace the display, is it likely to happen again? The
recorder has only been used a few times and it's about 18 months old.

Thanks for your replies.

Looks like air intrusion from a leak in the edge of the LCD.
No known cure, except replacement.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sjouke Burry wrote:
[...]

I ordered a repalcement dispaly today. Hopefully it will all go back
together as easily as it came apart.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"In 1980 I saw Pink Floyd perform "The Wall"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall#Tour) live at London's Earl's
Court."

You would probably like "Dogs Of War". I have a really good copy of it on VHS Hifi but not the means to put it on the PC or the web. It was always in the Friday night playlist.

Actually I might not still have it, I haven't looked. I looked for a copy of the same performance on gnutella and youtube and neither has this version, and I DO know how to search. I got **** youtube doesn't got, and I mean popular ****, not some obscure assholes in their in the garage. But then Buddy Holly stasrted out on a garage...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall#Tour) live at London's
Earl's Court."

You would probably like "Dogs Of War". I have a really good copy of
it on VHS Hifi but not the means to put it on the PC or the web. It
was always in the Friday night playlist.

Actually I might not still have it, I haven't looked. I looked for a
copy of the same performance on gnutella and youtube and neither has
this version, and I DO know how to search. I got **** youtube doesn't
got, and I mean popular ****, not some obscure assholes in their in
the garage. But then Buddy Holly stasrted out on a garage...

Did you mean this:
http://www.last.fm/music/Pink+Floyd/_/The+Dogs+of+War

Can't say I'm really into the later Floyd stuff. The sort of thing I go
for is "Set the controls for the heart of the sun", or "Careful With
That Axe, Eugene". Nick Mason's drumming on "Live at Pompei" is
fabulous. I've got the whole "Live at Pompei" on S-VHS somewhere, I
couldn't find it on YouTube either - at least not the version I was
after. I eventually found it he
https://www.izlesene.com/video/pink-floyd-set-the-controls-for-the-heart-of-the-sun-pompei/8818118.

--

Jeff