Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default Tascam digital recorder with defective display.

On 25/08/16 21:11, David Farber wrote:
This Tascam DR-44WL digital recorder was given to me for repair. I asked how
the screen got damaged. The user, a friend of mine, said that it wasn't
dropped or mishandled. It was placed on the floor in an out of a way place
before his band played and 45 minutes later he went to retrieve it and the
screen looked like this:
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...4WL-screen.jpg
The rest of the unit looks very clean. There are no scratches anywhere.

A new screen costs around $40 + shipping but I was curious what kind of
defect would cause an image like this without some severe impact to the
display? If I replace the display, is it likely to happen again? The
recorder has only been used a few times and it's about 18 months old.

A neighbour gave me their Lenovo laptop to fix that had a cracked
screen. Their kid was pretty insistant it wasn't dropped, but I couldn't
entertain the warranty company with that statement; I don't have a lie
detector that can be plugged into her and ethernet - so we fitted a new
display ourselves.

An idea. Extreme heat? Humidity? Electroluminescent panel flashover?

--
Adrian C