Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Safety test of electrics

On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 19:37:10 UTC+1, David wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 18:23:05 +0100, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/08/2016 14:19, David wrote:

Roughly how much would I expect to pay for an electrician to provide a
signed BS7671 electrical safety certificate?

As I said it depends on what you want to achieve - check and install is
ok, or have a bit of paper to wave to say its been anointed with the oil
of legal are covering.

Answering a question on one of the standard house sale forms.

then it's all a nonissue.

As far as I can tell "did it, didn't have it checked" seems to be accepted
in most cases.

yes. Buyers may use it as a bargaining point to knock 200 off for a dodgy insurance scheme. If the job was done 4+ years ago such insurance is of no possible value. If more recent, it's of almost no value.

Just being forewarned if the buyer gets picky.

it's normal for houses to come with unchecked electrics. If buyers want to pay an overpriced painted person to come & do the dance then write pages of disclaimers they can.

As with all things concerning legal boiler plate the paperwork may be well
out of date.

Much of it certainly doesn't pass any strict logical analysis.

no. It's a profitable game for some. For the ignorant buyer they can be fleeced or take a minor risk. Most pick the latter.

NT