Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Safety test of electrics

On 24/08/2016 14:19, David wrote:

Roughly how much would I expect to pay for an electrician to provide a
signed BS7671 electrical safety certificate?

Depends on what its for, and what you are hoping to achieve.

The Internet is a little confusing; I have read that it is illegal to
issue a BS7671 certificate if you didn't do the installation.

You may be conflating several issues here. This sounds like a reference
to part P. It *used* to be the case that the only ways of complying with
part P was to have work certificated by a competent person who also
carried out the work, or to have it signed off by building control
following submission of a building notice (or full plans).

This was generally daft since it did not permit getting someone to check
and sign off other peoples work, which is precisely what most building
control departments needed since they do not usually have the in house
skills to do the inspection themselves. It also precluded a DIYer from
doing something and then getting it signed off without the local
authority building control department getting involved.

The latest revision of part P improved matters greatly - firstly by
dispensing with a number of the requirements from earlier versions, and
it also introduced the option for a third party inspection, carried out
by someone who is a member of an appropriate scheme for said testing.
(needless to say this will be a different set of qualifications from
those required to actually do the work, and so is a new gravy train for
some of the approvals bodies!)

(some of whom threw their toys out of the pram saying they would not
support these schemes since it would be bad for their members - I am not
sure how that has panned out)

I also read that an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) should
be all you need although this isn't included on the form.

If you want to establish if a installation is basically sound, then yes.

I also read that the local Council should be able to certify but then read
that they won't usually (perhaps).

If notified (and paid) before the work is done.

https://www.mybuilder.com/questions/...y-of-a-part-p-
certificate,-bs7671-certificate,

The work relates to modernising the kitchen electrics (discussed yeah
these many years ago on this forum; probably around 2006).

Kitchens are no longer a special location under the scope of part P...

As I said it depends on what you want to achieve - check and install is
ok, or have a bit of paper to wave to say its been anointed with the oil
of legal are covering.

--
Cheers,

John.