Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Safety test of electrics

On 24/08/16 14:19, David wrote:
Roughly how much would I expect to pay for an electrician to provide a
signed BS7671 electrical safety certificate?

The Internet is a little confusing; I have read that it is illegal to
issue a BS7671 certificate if you didn't do the installation.

I also read that an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) should
be all you need although this isn't included on the form.

I also read that the local Council should be able to certify but then read
that they won't usually (perhaps).

https://www.mybuilder.com/questions/...y-of-a-part-p-
certificate,-bs7671-certificate,

The work relates to modernising the kitchen electrics (discussed yeah
these many years ago on this forum; probably around 2006).

Any advice on the most cost effective route?

Cheers

Dave R

What you are asking for is probably an EICR (Electrical Installation
Condition Report) - what used to be called a "PIR".

Anyone can do this on any existing installation. It is not the same as
signing off an EIC (Installation Certificate).

Costs will be from £100-150 for a flat to £200-300 for a typical house.
You will get ALL circuits tested (insulation resistance and continuity
and limited visual inspection as well as verifying the earthing and bonding.

You will not get 100% of the installation checked as much of the cabling
will be inaccessible.