Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jock[_2_] Jock[_2_] is offline

Default Energy supplier wants to fit Smart Meters - good?

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote

You no longer need to protect private data on your network,
it is uploaded every night. And is no longer private.

But does it really matter?

You can work out when people are away on holiday by analysing such
data.

You can do that by analysing their mobile phone records too. No one
bothers.

It's only a matter of time before some criminal
organisation does this to pick houses to burgle.

How odd that it hasnt happened with the mobile phone records.

no, those deal with one person, not one house

The phone company normally has a house address to send the bill to.
Anyone with even half a clue who is using a computer to work out
which houses currently have the owner away can get that address
from the phone companys records.

Or the records of the fuel they buy for the car either.

too spaced out in time, data too disparate etc.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Or the airline tickets they buy either.

is that publicly available?

We arent talking about publicly available, we are discussing
someone trolling the data and working out which houses
will be unoccupied and selling that data to criminals.

Again travel does not imply an empty house.

But those houses are more likely to be unoccupied.

Or the records of what grocerys they buy either.

useless for the purpose,

Bull**** when no one from that house is buying any grocerys.

and there is no publicly available record

We arent talking about publicly available, we are discussing
someone trolling the data and working out which houses
will be unoccupied and selling that data to criminals.

And even if someone was stupid enough to go that route,
the cops would soon find stupid druggys with lists of unoccupied
houses and would offer them a lesser penalty when they spill the
beans on where they got the list from and grab the list creator
and frog march him off to jail quick smart.

Of course some never learn.

And some like you are too stupid to have even noticed
that none of the stuff I listed has ever been used by any
criminal organisation to work out what places to burgle.

they can't

Corse they can.

Presumably because the absolute vast bulk of
the burglary of individual private residences is
done by stupid druggys funding the drug habits

For sure, but there is organised crime too.

Not with burglary of normal houses there isnt.

If you were a burglar, would data telling you when
various houses were empty be of any value? Obviously.

And yet no one actually uses all those data sources
I listed and flogs lists of those addresses to those
druggys feeding their drug habits by looting houses.

Because its a lot easier for the druggys to just walk
down the street and see which houses look like there
is no one there because the occupants are at work
etc and knock on the door to check that etc etc etc.