- - ex - -

Default Macrovision hack?

Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:56:04 GMT) it happened Justin
wrote in :

By copying a copy protected DVD you are defeating the copy protection
mechanism. If you weren't defeating it then you wouldn't be copying it.

But if you could copy it, then for sure it was not copy protected ;-)

Thats one of the more interesting and logical 'philosophies' that I have
heard.
:-)
Reminds me of one of the 'not-all-that-uncommon' CATV scrambling
systems. While it is generally a reasonably effective system, a good
5-10% of sets handle it like it wasn't even there. The manufacturer
knows and admits that and its just one of those caveats with this
particular scheme.
So, if a person has a brand XYZ receiver that just so happens to not be
affected by the scrambling is he culpable of any legal ramifications for
defeating or stealing (or whatever legalese) the encrypted programming
that he is not 'authorized' to receive?
This is a hypothetical (if not rhetorical) question to demonstrate how
big jaws don't necessarily have any teeth.

-BM