Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Desktop computer question

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 12:36:27 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 12:04:55 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

SSD's are so cool! (pun intended) The price is really coming down on those things. I wonder when mechanical hard drives will go away like 8 track tapes? I installed a 250GB SSD as drive C in my beast along with a 1TB and 2TB enterprise class hard drives. I installed HGST/Hitachi Ultrastar 7200rpm enterprise class drives and the price on the 2TB was $85.00 in 2014, the dang thing is now fracking $52.00 with free shipping. When will they be given away with Happy Meals? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Drive Monster

I am waiting to see how long these things last. SSDs might wear out
faster than a hard drive if you are rewriting the data a lot like your
swap files. They do have a finite limit.

I have 8 months of use on mine, mostly web browsing, email kind of activity,
plus at least half a dozen OS installs, it's still reporting 100% life left..
SanDisk has a utility that monitors it. I was a bit concerned about that
when I made the switch, but figured it probably has a life at least as
long as a typical drive. Figured the PC would be ready for replacement
before the SSD drive wears out. Each block can be erased 100K times I think
and the OS and drive work to level it out across the drive. Worst case
it's a graceful failure and you'll have plenty of warning that the
life is getting shorter.