Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Desktop computer question

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 8:52:26 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 9:42:18 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:

I wish I had all my toys, err, perhaps some of my toys here with me because it's frustrating to wish I could do more computer stuff. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster

I hear you. But it's still gotta be 100X better than a couple decades
ago when all you could do was watch soap operas all day.

I have an HDMI port on my Chromebook and I put adhesive backed cable clips on the wall going from my 32" LED TV on the dresser to the wall beside my bed. In the clips I ran a 15 foot HDMI cable to connect the computer to the TV and a mini phone plug stereo cable to connect the headphone jack on the back of the TV to my wired headphones or my little Bluetooth transmitter.

I watch online TV shows and movies from not only Amazon Prime but other sources on the Internet. I listen to streaming talk radio stations from my computer or tablet. I can put on my Bluetooth headset when I go to the toilet to drop a load of Ready Mix and listen to talk radio from my Chromebook. If I must dispense a larger load of Ready Mix, I may take my tablet with me to the bathroom so I may surf The Web, watch a TV show or movie. In the past I took a newspaper or paperback book with me for my excursion to the porcelain throne. Technology marches on.

I fixed a laptop for another resident and smart phone for one of the CNA's. I've helped several of the people here connect to the center's WiFi. When the Internet stopped working after a storm in the area, I rolled to the administrator's office and told one of the gals how to get the Internet going again. I mentioned to the administrator that it would be a good idea to have a UPS to plug in the power supplies for the Internet modem, network gear and digital cable distribution equipment.

The remote administrated digital cable boxes are made by Cisco with dimensions of 4.5" by 3" and 1" thick plus the little units have both a coax and HDMI outputs. There's also a 3.5mm jack for an additional external IR detector on a 3 foot cable. The external IR detector is the size of a large pecan and has Velcro on the bottom so it can be stuck to the top or side of the TV for better operation of the remote.

As I type this, I'm listening to a local talk radio station's Internet stream. My other choice is to go to the dining room and play Pokeno with other residents. I think I'll play on the computer instead. Sometime I'll write about my own sub-network bridged to the center's WiFi. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Resident Monster