Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Desktop computer question

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 9:42:18 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 8:34:38 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 9:17:36 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 7:04:41 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 7:44:27 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 11:16:06 PM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
Let me guess - you have a dedicated video card with heaps of ram and
a powerful processor on it. Lots of video cards today are running
very powerful processors - some almost as powerfull as the main CPU.

I have a fanless Asus GTX750 with 2GB RAM:

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/GTX750DCSL2GD5/

Since my computer is on 24/7/365 and I sit next to it all day, I'm more
concerned with low power usage and quiet operation than all out
performance. Even though it does not have a fan it usually stays nice and
cool (I do not play games).

Anthony Watson

Hey AW, oh wow, I just remembered A&W is a root beer. Anyway, how often do you vacuum the dust out of your computers, especially the one that stays on 24/7? I recall servicing computers in the cleanest homes and offices and those machines were often full of dust elephants. Me and a lot of other geeks mod our machines with air filters to help keep dust critters from moving in but it's still amazing how much dust still gets in. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Dusty Monster

I generally only vacuum when I'm in there for a reason. Most recently
that was when my HD died after about 6 years. There was a reasonable
amount of dust, but nothing that looked potentially damaging enough..
But it's probably a good idea to blow them out every couple years,
or whatever interval seems right based on what you find.

Well Mr.T, do you leave your desktop on 24/7? I can't remember if the cooling fans were still running or the power supply fan was still running when I put my desktop machines in "hibernate mode". I seem to recall the jet plane sound that often came from my machines would cease when I put them to sleep/standby mode. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

I leave it on 24/7, but it's set to power down the display and hibernate after 10 mins. I think the fans stop then too, but have to check.

I wish I had all my toys, err, perhaps some of my toys here with me because it's frustrating to wish I could do more computer stuff. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster

I hear you. But it's still gotta be 100X better than a couple decades
ago when all you could do was watch soap operas all day.