Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to put a new master phone socket

On 20/08/16 10:44, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 20/08/16 09:20, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Bert
Coules writes
"charles" wrote:

All the cabling before the master socket (and the socket itself)
are the
property of BT. You (or your builders) are not allowed to alter them.

Interesting, thanks. I wonder then why the master socket wasn't
placed by BT where the builders are suggesting putting it now. Is it
usual for the incoming cable not to run directly to a master socket
but to terminate in a junction box just inside the property and then
run on from there? Doesn't that junction in the cable affect the
quality or performance of the line?

My very recent experience is that having your master socket next to the
router can double the download speed.

My consistent experience is that that is utter rubbish, unless you
have a wiring fault as well.

My experience ws that getting the house phone wiring shortened and
improved, removing the bell wire, and having the router close to the MS
doubled your download speed.

*improved* is the key issue.

I used to be 1 mile and a bit from the exchange. 20 feet of extra wiring
will make sod all difference.

Its a little bit more critical with FTTC because there its a few hundred
meters max cable and 20 feet might make a difference, but the real key
is *sorting out* the internal wiring, not shortening it.

e.g. a friend phoned me a couple of year back and we got to discussing
his dire speeds and whether or not he should 'go fibre' I asked him what
his noise and attenuation figures were. They were just not right. He had
lots of power, but massive noise.

"Summat up with the house wiring" I said so he took his BT sockets
apart...and discovered unused extension wires hanging off the *hot* side
of the ADSL all over the place and under the floorboards.

He ripped all that off and, yes, his speed more than doubled.,

For exactly the same length connection to his router as he already had.

let them."