Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Cutting a new window hole in a 4" thick conrete block wall -tool recommendations?

Johnny B Good wrote:
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 17:42:13 +0100, Capitol wrote:

wrote:

On 17/08/2016 14:40, John Rumm wrote:

On 17/08/2016 12:48,

... snipped

Mate, a platform is not that expensive to BUY.

I bought one to do my guttering.

I've been tempted to do the same - which did you buy and have you
been pleased with it?

I got an Ali one recently from BPS:

https://laddersandscaffoldtowers.co....rade-Scaffold-

Towers.html

Not made extensive use of it yet, but with what I have done it seems
pretty good. Quick and easy to assemble and feels solid in use.

They look interesting, although working at 5 or 6 metres with such a
small width seems slightly worrying, even with outriggers. There's a
job coming up that I was going to pay someone to do (against my
religion, usually) and the saving would pay for one of these towers.
Hmmm!

Yes, I have a similar tower which I bought from Wickes about 30
years ago. They do wobble a bit even with the outriggers fitted. The
most interesting experience was fitting 8 x 3.5 ft double glazed window
panels with a slight breeze. Nowadays, I'd buy a wider more robust tower
as the access hatch is rather small.

I think that last statement was code for "I've become a bit of a fat

Not an insult BTW. I'd say most of us in this news group who would have
been able to make such an investment 30 years ago, myself included, will
have come to the same conclusion in regard of their own physique today.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm a lot less agile than I was and
putting it up to full height is a bit of a struggle. However, I did
build it a dedicated storage shed a couple of years ago and added a
vertical ladder storage facility last year. This makes it easier to get
at both when necessary.