Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Fixing door handles

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 09:29:54 UTC+1, Kit Jackson wrote:
Are there any tricks to fixing door handles? I've been putting new door
handles in the rooms. I've had several where the catch won't spring back
properly once both handles have been installed. This is because I
haven't got the handle absolutely square and there's enough friction
between the connecting rod and the handles or the lock so that the spring
can't return the latch properly.

This isn't helped by the fact that the handles are round and the handle
itself is a larger diameter than the plate that screws to the door so
it's difficult to get the screws to go in straight. They are all at a
very slight angle.

The handles need to be accurately positioned, even 1mm too high too too
low is sufficient to cause the lock to bind. So are there any tricks for
getting the handles accurately positioned and fixed?

Lever type handles should shave a circumferential spring to offset the unbalanced weight of the handle.
Keeps the handle horizontal.

Needs to be moved in some designs depending on left or right hand doors.