Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kit Jackson[_2_] Kit Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Fixing door handles

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 20:36:29 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 17/08/2016 09:29, Kit Jackson wrote:
Are there any tricks to fixing door handles? I've been putting new
door handles in the rooms. I've had several where the catch won't
spring back properly once both handles have been installed. This is
because I haven't got the handle absolutely square and there's enough
friction between the connecting rod and the handles or the lock so that
the spring can't return the latch properly.

This isn't helped by the fact that the handles are round and the handle
itself is a larger diameter than the plate that screws to the door so
it's difficult to get the screws to go in straight. They are all at a
very slight angle.

Can you not fix the plate before you attach the knob?

We didn't get the handles from Screwfix but these are similar.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/carlisle-b...mortice-knobs-
pair-52mm/9049h

So they are screwed directly in position. What's the part called that
the screws actually go through? Is it a plate or a flange or a rose?

It seems the whole thing is not a handle anyway it's a knob.