Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How to remove a parked car

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 23:16:39 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 22:51:20 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 23:36:19 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 23:11:46 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 22:04:54 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 01:46:29 +0100, Bill Wright

wrote:

On 14/08/2016 19:15, ARW wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in
message
In article ,
"James Wilkinson" writes:
If someone parks in front of your house, simply use a large
power
tool such as a brush cutter, and start sending bits of twig
flying
everywhere. The car will get moved very quickly :-)

Would love to know how to get rid of an abandoned car in the
road,
where we are short of parking places.

When I was a young and stupid teenager I would have moved it
for
£20
cash and no questions asked.

This is one of those occasions when citizens should act, but
surreptitiously so the authorities aren't forced to act. Have a
word
in
the ear of the local cops, then late at night pull the car onto
transporter (smash the glass to release the handbrake and knock
it
into
neutral) and take it away. The destination is your choice, but
if
it's
left somewhere where it's causing an obstruction the council
will
remove
it. A possibility is somewhere along a long straight narrow
rural
road.

Interesting, I'd never thought of that - a car, no matter what
immobilisers it has etc, has no way of preventing theft by
towing.

That is just plain wrong. A decent GPS based remote alarm system
will
prevent that because the owner will be notified and can prevent
that.

Someone with a transporter could easily steal any car they
liked.

Not when its got a decent GPS based remote alarm system.

Aren't hose only in top end cars?

Nope, completely trivial to add to any car for peanuts.

Most don't bother doing that kind of upgrade.

Irrelevant.

My point is that every car should prevent you from engaging neutral
and
releasing brakes without the key. It should be part of the
immobiliser,
like the steering lock.

Trouble with that approach is that you're ****ed without the key.

They already have steering locks, so you can't take it far anyway.

Makes more sense to include a decent GPS based alarm system
that can tell you when someone has shifted your car without
using the key because that can notify you wherever you are in
the world when that happens so you can do something about it.

Better to stop them BEFORE they take it.

That is what any decent alarm does.

No, because it just makes a noise which everybody ignores as most are
false alarms.

Not when its being dragged onto a truck or trailer.

And I don't ignore the neighbours alarms when they go off.

Even if you do stop the car having the brakes released or put in
neutral without a key, they can just put one end on dolly wheels
and winch the car onto a truck and take it away that way.

Might as well make it harder for the thieves.

If that was done with all production cars, they would just use dolly
wheels.

That's what's happened with immobilisers, the thieves just invade
the house and grab the keys even when the occupants are in the house.

The number of car thefts is dramatically less than when we had
immobilisers etc.

Sure, but they would still use dolly wheels if all production cars had that.

There is nothing to prevent unlocking of all 4 wheels.

That's wrong too with a decent locking system on the gearshift
etc.

Never heard of that.

Then you need to get out more.

Show me a few examples of it on production cars.

Production cars are irrelevant.

They are relevant, as most people have them left at production specs.

Not if they care about the risk of the car being towed away.

People assume it won't happen.

Nope, they realise the insurance covers it.

And therefore don't have a locking gearshift. So back to my point - I've
never heard of that.

Then you need to get out more, as always.