Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Movement: Is this a typo?

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 08:21:16 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Stolen without permission from:

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/wmov.html

"A 36" wide top, made with flat sawn lumber, can move more than an inch
with a 10% change in moisture content."

I'm pretty sure that a Figure 8 connector is not going to handle
movement of "more than an inch" unless it's a *really* big one. ;-)

From another woodworking website:

"On the average, wood gains or loses about 1 percent moisture content for
every 5 percent change in the relative humidity."

"The rule of thumb is that if the board shows mostly flat grain on its
face, allow for 14 inch total wood movement for every 12 inches across
the grain. If it shows mostly quarter grain, allow for 18 inch movement.
This will accommodate an annual change of 8 percent moisture content
much more than is common in most areas."

Note the last sentence. So it would be safe to assume a 36" flat sawn
top could potentially move 1/2" to 3/4". If the connector is mounted
right, it would only have to move 1/4" to 3/8".

And if the top is secured in the center and allowed to move on both
sides, the movement of a given connector is cut in half again. Now we're
down to 1/8" to 3/16".

Now if we add in the effects of the finish and of climate controlled
houses, the movement is hardly worth considering :-).

carrying a cross.