Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default How to remove a parked car

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:37:13 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 21:37:03 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

"NY" Wrote in message:
"harry" wrote in message
On Sunday, 14 August 2016 16:37:05 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
If someone parks in front of your house, simply use a large power tool
such as a brush cutter, and start sending bits of twig flying
everywhere.
The car will get moved very quickly :-)

The road in front of your house is not yours.
Anyone can park there subject to yellow lines etc.

Does that include parking across your drive so you can't get your car in
or
out? I know that you can't lay claim to the road *opposite* or *either
side
of* your drive.

Well, you can't lay claim to the road, but it is a parking offence
to leave a vehicle parked across a dropped kerb (introduced in
the 2004 Traffic Management Act)

That's daft, it should be "across a driveway". I've seen plenty dropped
kerbs left where there is no longer a driveway, or driveways where they
haven't bothered dropping the kerb.

The council can ticket it, or potentially get a vehicle removed.
Think for single driveways they tend not to enforce this (s it
may well be the householder or someone with permission.) Unless
the householder specifically complains about it.

(According to our local council when I spoke to them about it re
our driveway).

We quite often get people parking across our drive as we are near
the village shops and there is at times limited parking space.
Normally they are just stopping for a minute or two. Annoying if
you want to get out (though normally we aren't,) but not the end
of the world.

We did call the police one night when someone left their car
parked across it and as it happens my wife was on call (O&G
consultant, if she gets called in in the middle of the night,
it's because someone's birth is going pear shaped in a pretty
big way) . They managed after a while to locate the driver and
get them to move it.

If someone blocked the exit to my drive and I needed to get out
(especially as urgently as your wife), I'd reverse into the offending car
and shove it out of my way.

But its unlikely she drives a wreck of a car like
you do given that she needs something reliable.

Reversing a car slowly into the side of another won't damage it, especially if it has a towbar.

--
Never raise your hands to your kids.
It leaves your groin unprotected.