Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Outdoor decorative laser lights - safe?

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 1:34:34 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 13 August 2016 10:29:33 UTC+1, Davidm wrote:

Went to a friends barbeque last night and they had two of these in the
garden, one pointing up at rear house wall (including windows), and
another up to a tree at the end of the garden. Looked amazing.

http://www.outdoordecordirect.com/artifact/2336252/

(American site, but available in UK via Amazon and others).

Are these safe and legal, eg. if you happen to look at one from a few
metres away, and what about aircraft if it pointing upwards, given all
the recent problems with handheld lasers around airports?

There are specific rules & required procedures for laser show lighting, and 5 watts pointed where people can look into it is a definite no. I doubt it is 5w, but we have no easy way to know what power it is.

NT

There will be a small m missing, 5mW 0.005W rather than 5W, 5.00W which wouold be a hazard.

Power density is low, get considerably more exposure to harmful radiation on a sunny day.