Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Headboard Assembly Advice Requested

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 7:16:17 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 3:10:20 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I'm moving along on my bed build and now need to assemble the
headboard. I
could really use some confidence building advice.

The bed will be similar to this, but I'm sure that my headboard is
being
built differently. I believe that they used solid 4x4's for the
uprights
and mortised the horizontal slats into them.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/052/0/90...20270_c0a1.jpg

All of the wood I bought on Craigslist is 1 11/64" thick, therefore I
will
be sandwiching the horizontal boards between 2 vertical boards so that
the
uprights will essentially be ~3 1/2" x 3 1/2".

https://images.craigslist.org/00D0D_...O_1200x900.jpg

The bottom of the uprights, below the horizontals, will simply be a
sandwich of 3 vertical pieces, similar to how I made the foot board
legs.

The other difference is that my horizontal boards are narrower, so I
will need 5, maybe 6, horizontals instead of the 3 that they used.

That is a lot of moving parts for me to keep square during the glue up.
My
current plan is to use biscuits to make one big panel out of the
horizontals and then glue the uprights to the front and back of the
panel.
I also plan to use 2 screws on each end of the horizontals, from the
back
to the front of the uprights. I would then plug the screw holes with
matching wood.

OK, now that I've gotten that plan out of my head and in writing, it
suddenly doesn't sound so hard. :-) In any case, I'm open to
suggestions,
words of encouragement, etc. Does anything in my plan sound any alarms?

Yeah. That's a pretty fair amount of wood for it to be glued and screwed
the uprights. I'm thinking, of course , about the seasonal expansion and
contraction of the wood.

If it were me, I'd probably make the uprights with a deep dado to accept
the
ends of the horizontal boards, afix the horizontals to the uprighrs with
only screws through small vertical slots in the ends of the horizontals.

I'm gonna need some help here...

What will prevent the head board from racking if the panel is "loose" in
the dado?

The fact that the ends of the panel boards are tight against the bottom of
the groove and the screws.

Alternately, you could use two rails across your stiles (posts), groove all
around and insert panel. Just like a door.

(BTW I didn't mention it, but my daughter wants the end grain of every
other
horizontal to show. For the boards that don't show end grain, I was going
use side grain filler strips. I did this with a "ladder end" bunk bed that
I built years ago and she likes the alternating look.)

I'd stop the slots an inch or so from where the top edge of the top
horizontal and bottom edge of the bottom horizontal will be

Why do you mention just the top and bottom boards? Aren't you suggesting
slots in all the horizontal boards?

If the boards are glued up into a panel, you don't need a screw in each
board end, just enough to hold it firmly in the groove. Three each side
would be plenty...one in the center (no slot needed) and one each near top
and bottom.

Are you still in favor of using biscuits to create a panel? If so, would
you
edge glue the horizontals or just glue the biscuits and let the rest of
the
wood float.

I see no need for biscuits, just another step and the only purpose would be
to align the boards so the faces are flush. "Flush" and "rustic" don't need
to go together. There would be zero reason to use biscuits and glue just
them.

and notch the
respective corners of the horizontals so they meet the edges of the
uprights.

You've lost me there. What is the point of "notching the corners"? What
corners are you referring too?

You would have two verticals, each with a deep groove. The panel would fit
within the groove,. It looks better IMO to visually "stop" the groove.
Just like you would do a shelf in a bookcase.

OK, thanks. I think I've got it all, although I'll need to think about your
suggestions. As I mentioned, my daughter wants to see alternating end grain
like this:

http://i.imgur.com/DQLKFu6.jpg

I think that precludes the use of a vertical groove and leaves me with my
plain white bread sandwich plan.

However, I think that the floating panel can still be incorporated
into the plan. Thanks again.