Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Nail in car tyre - DIY?

Phil L wrote:
David wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 18:08:09 +0100, Phil L wrote:

If it hasn't penetrated all the way, then how do they repair it when
there isn't a hole on the inside to take a plug?

They send their sharp rasp like tool right the way through to make
the hole complete, then they fill the entire thing so that it's the
same thickness (if not thicker) rubber as the rest of the tyre.

I don't think anyone mentioned asking for a discount either - I think
that is termed a straw man where you suggest something stupid then
announce that it is a stupid idea.

1) Remove the nail myself and if there is no air leakage job done. If
air leaks, take to tyre place to fix.

(2) Take tyre to tyre place to fix - which may just result in paying
for them to do the first part of (1).

"paying for them to do the first part of (1)" means paying them to
take the nail out of the tyre when you were intending doing it
yourself
If the nail has only penetrated through half the rubber, then what is
going to make it fail? Especially if it is in deep tread which is
designed to be worn away anyway.

Not a lot of logic there, I'm afraid.

Too much for you to accept, yes.

Others have put it more sensibly.

Save yourself the ten quid, pull the nail out yourself and then go
for a cruise down the motorway, this is obviously what you wanted to
hear and nothing else matters. It's of no consequence to me or anyone
else. Apart from you, and anyone else you take in the car that is.
We're not talking about pulling a nail out of a piece of skirting
board here - you're highly unlikely to be sitting on said skirting
board at 70mph in the near future

+1

The guy is obviously a skint Dickhead.
Hey! This could be the skint ****** Peter Hucker using a new handle.