Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Nail in car tyre - DIY?

David wrote:
Had the car serviced the other day, and they noted a nail in a rear
tyre, but that there didn't seem to be any leakage.

I see two obvious options:

(1) Remove the nail myself and if there is no air leakage job done.
If air leaks, take to tyre place to fix.

(2) Take tyre to tyre place to fix - which may just result in paying
for them to do the first part of (1).

Going route (1) assumes that if the nail hasn't penetrated the inner
casing (or not enough to cause a leak) then all is O.K.

Does this seem a reasonable approach?

No it doesn't.

The one near me charges about £8 for a puncture repair, if I took a tyre in
and informed them that I wanted a discount as I'd arsed around pulling the
nail out myself, they'd either:

(1) Laugh at me and tell me to eff off.

(2) Look at me as if I were a simpleton, then laugh at me and tell me to eff
off.

Attempting to take the nail out yourself hoping that on the off chance it
has only penetrated though half the rubber is also an idiot's trick - how
long do you think it will last like this?

I like a bargain as much as the next man, but attempting crap like this in
order to save less than a tenner is a dangerous waste of time IMO.