Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Nail in car tyre - DIY?

On 12/08/2016 10:45, NY wrote:

The only tyre that I've had that was irrepairable was when I had a
blowout and the wheel rim ran over the bulging part of the tyre wall
before I could stop. That tyre was well and truly mangled :-( I was
stranded for ages because when I came to get the spare wheel out from
the cage underneath the boot, the thread that releases the cage had
seized up. If they'd put a proper hexagonal head on the bolt, same size
as the wheel nuts so you can use the wheelbrace, I could have applied
some leverage, but it was a very broad u-shaped flat groove in the bolt
head into which you inserted the flattened end of the wheelbrace as a
crude screwdriver. Crappy design, Peugeot :-( If you tried to apply any
force, the end of the wheelbrace "screwdriver" came out of the "screw
head", even when I pressed my chest on the wheelbrace while turning it
to force it into the notch.

I've enjoyed that feature on the Xantia. I've sheared off one of them.
They get greased properly after I get them apart...