Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
tim... tim... is offline

Default The girl who says 'no'

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
John Rumm wrote:
On 10/08/2016 14:40, Capitol wrote:
Woody wrote:
"Bill wrote in message
Me: Have you got any four by four posts, but long ones, maybe three
and a half metres?
Girl in timber yard office (who has been needlessly obstructive on
several previous occasions): No.
Me: What's the longest you've got?
Girl: We might have some ten foot. Not sure. Might only have eight
foot.
Me: Well can you cut me some longer ones?
Girl: How can we make long ones from short ones?
Me: I thought you could maybe start with a tree.
Girl: Oh funny guy eh?
Me: Only when provoked.
Girl: Could you get me some longer ones if I order them?
Girl: Oh no we don't do that.
Me: Oh well, OK then. Thanks for your help anyway.
Girl: I'll go and have a look.
[a few seconds later, sounding disappointed]: Oh, there's some three
point six. Just come in.
Excellent. I'll see you shortly.

Sadly it seems the knowledge of how to handle a customer politely and
courteously just does not exist these days until the maturity sets in.
In the recent past I have had to deal with an organisation where the
first time I was answered by an early 20-something (I would guess) who
clearly could not give a stuff. The second time I called I got a
mature woman who could not have been more helpful or friendly.

My wife has had the very same in dealing with the Halifax - and that
their breavement department - and on a couple of occasions with BG.
Conversely she has also dealt with Severn Trent Water and
(surprisingly) BT where whoever answered the call could not have been
more helpful.

STW - and for those that use them, First Direct (bank) - clearly spend
time and money training their staff in how to talk to customers on the
telephone. From my experience scripts don't even come into it. BT -
well I think that was just a fluke!

It took me days to report a fault to BT recently. The fault
reporting system has replaced people with voice operated computers which
do not understand English. The on line system is now a people data
collecting system and doesn't work without javascript. I don't give out
personal details on line, so couldn't use it. I was about to write to
BT, my MP and OFCOM when somehow I managed to register a fault condition
using the 151 system. My bank, Plusnet and Tesco are a joy to contact as
they answer their phones with people.

So why not move your phone line to Plusnet?

I'm waiting for the prices to reduce as a result of Vodaphone coming
into the market.

If their mobile tariffs are anything to go by, you'll have a very long wait

tim