Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
charles charles is offline

Default The girl who says 'no'

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Bill
writes
In message , Capitol
writes
I'm waiting for the prices to reduce as a result of Vodaphone
coming into the market.

If Vodaphone demonstrate the level of competence and customer awareness
they have when screwing up Demon Internet, it will give others the
incentive to raise their prices.

It's probably worth explaining that customers of what was Demon are all
being handed the 'black spot' (a kiss-of-death email) telling us that

"Your free Demon email will stop working 30 calendar days from the date
of this email. So if you've been using it, make sure you have a new
email service set up and ready to go. Apart from this, your Demon
broadband service will continue as normal".

The laughable bit is "as normal". Since I joined Demon in the late 90s,
the following services have been - or are being - withdrawn:
The demon.announce newsgroup (and the staff providing the announcements)
The single-user licence to use Turnpike (Demon's mail/news client)
Demon's news server
Website hosting
Your Demon email address
The ability to (easily) use Turnpike
and a few other things beside.

It appears that all of these were officially classified as being 'free'
- but it's very obvious that there is now not much left apart from the
provision of an internet connection.

OK, certain workarounds have been offered. For example, at an extra cost
of at least £38, another company will provide alternative email
facilities, and also allow you to retain your email address (if you
transfer to Vodafone's broadband, you will lose it). As my annual Demon
sub is £201 (it was actually taken by direct debit only 3 days ago), it
all seems very poor value compared with what we used to have, and what
is offered by most competitors.

I left Demon last autumn when they sent a warning that the email address
was on its way out. Such a shame. I was once giving my address to a lady
who said "Demon?" and looked hard at me, to which I replied "there are some
people with Virgin in their email address, and it doesn't mean anything
either"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England