Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Stump removal

Capitol wrote:
rick wrote:
Have 45m run of double staggered Leylandii .... (no I didn't plant them)

Want to remove and plant something better ... I can obvioulsy use s
chain saw and cut down to a stump, there seems to be 2 main options to
removal of the remainder.

1. Pull out stump with a trefoil such as in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZjqEC_FWqo
... but how well will that work on 20 yr old Leylandii .... typical
diameter between 6 and 8 " .... assume roots will be extensive

2. Hire a stump grinder .... HSS have a 6HP model :
http://www.hss.com/hire/p/portable-stump-chipper

or do I need something beefier such as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEh...ature=youtu.be

The trees are on a raised bank about 1.5m above ground behind a 1.2m
wall.
I can put a ramp to wheel up a 'portable' grinder .... but not
something like a bobcat or similar

Get a man in with a really big stump grider and chipper. Saves
a lot of effort. Alternatively, do what we did and have the Leylandi
cut off at 6 ft, kill the remainder with professional tree stump killer

Not necessary, they'll die anyway, Leylandii don't regrow from old
wood at all. We have cut several down like this and they really do
just die. If left long enough the stumps are *very* easy to pull out
because they are no longer alive.

--
Chris Green
ยท