Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Why did back coil refrigerators vanish?

On 8/7/2016 1:48 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 1:37:55 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 12:15:42 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:

On 8/7/2016 9:14 AM, dirt wrote:
replying to TimR, dirt wrote:
Mine is the same. Its impossible to get to the inner coils. I tried bending
the special brush at a 45 degree angle to get to it. Does not do a
decent job.
Please, does anyone have a better way?

The last time I had this problem, I had the gardener come in and blow it
out with his leaf blower. Seriously. I wheeled the fridge over to the
door so the stuff would blow outside.

think compressor. can make a dirt. put fridge or whatever outside so the dust blows away.

i have fixed office machines for a lifetime. there was a nun in charge of a catholic school. they used super cheap paper in the copier. clean up was a mess. one day i moved the copier outside and blew the paper dust out with compressor.

it was a windy day, the dust blew away, but the nun was mad i had done this.. till i reminded her it saved her 75 bucks for a hours labor, with my vacuum and artists brush....

she said ok but dont do it again......

Me and my brother have 20lb CO2 tanks of the type used with soft drink dispensing machines. The liquid CO2 boiling into gas inside the tanks lasts a long time for uses like inflating tires, blowing dirt out HVAC equipment, checking pipes for leaks and blowing dirt out of computers plus other office equipment. A computer, even in the cleanest of offices, will fill up with dust elephants in no time. We'd take the computers from a business outside, to the loading dock if there was one, then blow the dirt out of them with CO2 at 100psi. The people there couldn't believe how muck dirt we got out of their machines. We couldn't turn off the big Cisco routers and switches to clean them so we used a combination of the CO2, tarp material cut to size for the purpose and a shop-vac. Any office equipment with a cooling fan would get full of dust. I like business computers because they usually have one latch to pull in order to remove a side cover which makes servicing them so much easier. Oh yea, me and my brother were tortured by nuns when we were little kids. We still have nightmares about giant penguins chasing us. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Dust Monster

My desktop PC has a foam filter I made in the unused 3 - 5 1/4" drive
bays with a 5" fan behind it, with the fan speed adjusted so the
internal pressure inside the PC is is positive relative to room
pressure. All the cooling air comes through the filter, and everything
inside the PC case stays way cleaner than without the filter. I just
pull out the filter once in a while and vac it off.