Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inspection chamber cover: Screws wl not unscrew...

On 07/08/2016 12:45, Maurice wrote:

I've never seen a chamber with such a projecting flange.

I've never seen one without a flange. The flange is *under* the lid and
supports it. You can't see it when the lid is in place.

What do you suppose stops the lid falling into the chamber?

I have a similar lid in my drive - which is clad with imprinted concrete
rather than crazy paving. Mine doesn't screw down though, but it *does*
have a couple of holes into which cranked T-bars can be inserted to lift
it. My holes look like what I imagine your 4 holes would look like if
you removed(!) the screws. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow in
case they help.

Lids are only normally screwed down when they're inside a building and
need to be completely sealed against odors and surcharging. These
invariably have a rubber gasket underneath. I have a spare (cast iron -
not paved) lid and frame of that sort, and will post some pictures of
that, too, if I've got time tomorrow.
--
Cheers,
Roger