Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Inspection chamber cover: Screws wl not unscrew...

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
On 06/08/2016 17:35, Maurice wrote:
On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 16:05:08 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Surely the threaded holes are in the outer frame which is concreted into
the ground, with plain holes in the lid for the screws to pass through?

No. The metal piece through which the screw sits is on the *lid*, not
the
outer frame. (There is a narrow gap between that piece of metal and the
outer
frame, which can just be seen in the photo.)

In that case, what are the screws *for*? If they don't hold the lid onto
the frame, do they simply blank off the threaded holes - until such time
as they are replaced by lifting eyes?

I'm not sure that you understood what I meant about the outer frame. The
part which is concreted into the ground will have a flange all the way
round which extends under the edges of the lid by an inch or so to
support the lid - which would otherwise fall into the hole! My hunch is
that the threaded holes are in that flange, with plain holes in the lid
itself. I don't see how you can be certain that that is not so without
taking it apart because the relevant bits are simply not visible.

a visit to a friendly builders merchant might be sensible. See if you can
find your cover on his shelves.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England